Well, March has gone, and what a month it’s been! With the launch of 1.3 everyone has been cooking up a storm, and exploring all the new content ( I even saw a bright pink bee hive!) We’re not ones to rest on our laurels though so there’s a lot more where that came from, and today we’re going to share what we’ve been up to!
Bored with the limited material choices for your house? Well worry no more! We’ll be introducing a whopping SIX new housing material types, consisting of:
- Round stone
- Pottery brick
Here’s a sneak peek at all of the new housing types!
Along with these types comes New pavement types too!
- Sandstone slab
- Sandstone brick
- Slate Slab
- Slate brick
- Marble brick
- Pottery brick
And not to finish there, we’ll also be introducing new fence types as well, meaning you can really design your deed in style!
- Round stone
- Pottery brick
- Marble brick
Those with a keen eye may be wondering where sandstone bricks and slabs will be coming from. We’ll be adding a new vein type, Sandstone! (duh), Sandstone will naturally generate across a server upon release of this update (only on rock tiles). It will act like a slate or marble vein, and thus have anywhere upwards of 10,000 shards in one vein.
Not to leave it at that, we’re also been updating textures for the hell horses! Hell horses have had colour traits like regular horses this whole time, but only one texture, but that’s not happening any longer! Each colour hell horse will have their own texture, and look different to the others, from grey, to a golden hue, and even purple!
Siege weapon overhauls
Not to be left behind we’re also working on a few PvP and epic updates, with Siege weapons currently being overhauled and tested, with improved trajectories, as well as the ability to set the angle on catapults and trebuchets. We’re also adding battering rams in and improving Turrets and archery towers too!
Catapult and Trebuchet
- Added approximate distance messages when winching. Distance calculation is made on the assumption of firing across flat ground, so it’s not going to be exact depending on where you’re firing, but it should be pretty close. (Unless you’re firing off the side of a cliff, or into the side of a cliff, in which case it’ll be pretty far off.)
- Added test messages to the winching message showing the current power and firing angle of the catapult.
- Added two new actions for increasing and reducing the firing angle of catapults. They should be defaulting to 45 degrees, and can be changed to a max of 85 degrees and a min of 5 degrees. Each action changes the degrees by 5, and takes a few seconds depending on your skill.
- Changed action time for winching to take your skill into account instead of a flat 1s per winch. At 100 skill the winch speed should be 33% faster. At 1 skill it is the same as previously, 1s/winch.
- Changed base damage multiplier from using firing distance to using final projectile velocity instead. Should mean that even if the projectile doesn’t go as far (like when having a high firing angle), it should still do a good amount of damage due to how fast it is hitting.
- Changed the “it sounds like X hit Y” messages on projectiles landing. Will now give a breakdown if each type of thing hit and how many of them were hit.
Turrets and Archery towers
- Turrets and archery towers will now have their range increased based on their QL. Base ranges are the same of 3 tiles for turret and 5 tiles for archery tower, then increase up to 5x that range at 100ql.
- How often turrets and archery tower can shoot is now modified by the QL as well, up to 33% faster at 100ql.
- When a turret has a chance to fire but fails, it will now do an animation without firing any projectiles.
- Changed the projectile checks for turrets and archery towers to use their proper height, instead of checking near the ground.
- This means they should be able to shoot over walls etc if they are high enough – they just need direct line of sight between their firing position (near the ball for the turret, top of the tower for archery tower) and their target. Will need some testing.
Battering Ram added
- Need the lot of you to fight over where you think a good balance point for damage for these should be. What I’ve got it at at the moment may be a bit low, though I’ve tried to balance it as a mid point between bashing with large mauls and using a catapult.
- Min 21 body strength needed to use it.
- Uses the War Machines skill – skill effects time to use and a skillcheck modifies the final damage. Base 30 second timer, 33% faster at 100 skill.
- Failed skillcheck results in no damage done. Difficulty is based on the wall’s current quality (i.e. QL – damage (or there abouts)), so the first hits will be lower damage and harder, later hits will get easier and deal more damage.
- Only hits the first thing it comes across in front of it, and it needs to be pretty close to touching the thing you want to ram.
- Player using it has to be pretty close to the ram to be able to use it, and only one person can use it at a time.
- Dragging a ram should be a bit slower than dragging other things (e.g. a catapult).
- Damage to the wall is modified by skillcheck result (as said above) and the QL of the ram. Double damage is dealt when used underground. Does not work against mine doors. Exact values are up for discussion after some testing is done (remember when
arguing discussing this line that you’re arguing discussing with each other, not me – I’m happy to set values to whatever the general consensus is, if there is one).
Hord of the summoned and player gods
So many of you might have seen the thread about Horde of the Summoned conversions to player gods where we agreed that it was a less than ideal system. The task we face now is rewriting the outdated conversion system with one that performs better, and makes a bit more sense. This system will allow HotS players to follow player gods, meaning any player gods on a PvP server aren’t White Light kingdom gods only!
Continuing from the 1.3 update more actions for general tasks around the game are being added, including take, drop, push and pull, more are in the works and should come at a later date.
Unstable client works
Work continues on the new rendering engine teased last year, with the major bugs addressed, we’ll begin looking at performance improvements and then a Steam release!
That’s it for this month, these updates should come in a beta launch within the next week or two, with the live launch following shortly after.
Until then though, Happy Easter, and keep on Wurming!
Retrograde & the Wurm team.
Like us on Facebook:
Follow us on Twitter: